- “If we are to avoid modernity’s fetishization of the nation-state and the imagined community, we need to return to a provisional version of Jefferson’s literally prenational vision of North and South. In such a modified reading, the U.S. South comes to occupy a space unique within modernity: a space simultaneously (or alternately) center and margin, victor and defeated, empire and colony, essentialist and hybrid, northern and southern (both in the global sense).” [Jon Smith and Deborah Cohn, “Introduction: Uncanny Hybridities,” Look Away! The U.S. South in New World Studies]
- “A poetics of oblivion involves commemoration but with little or no to recourse to monumentalization or institutionalization of the past. It represents a past that is not outside of time but ever subject to its reformation in the present. Even as the past is remembered, attention is drawn to the present that gives representative shape to that past.” [George Handley, “A New World Poetics of Oblivion,” Look Away! The U.S. South in New World Studies]
- ” …the U.S. southern plantation provides a salient site through which to explore connections between previous forms of imperalism, with their  sharp delineations between colony and metropole, and what has famously been called the contemporary state of “Empire,” with even starker differentiations of wealth distributed in more complex spatial arrangements.” [Leigh Anne Duck, “Plantation/Empire,” CR: The New Centennial Review 19.1 (2010)]
and I am about halfway through my source list
also please note that the end point of this critical framework is talking about andrew bird
how I am getting from point A to point B remains to be seen
Oh, who is that with tickets to the Bird show in Denver in the orchestra pit, third row center, I think it is me. …and my counterpart, but also me.
yesssss, fifth row for Bird in Boulder, onsale for Denver at 11am tomorrow
So y’all know that cartoon we like that leaked tomorrow’s episode because Nickelodeon has never had to deal with a rabid fanbase in this manner and doesn’t know anything about security protocols yet?
Two spoilery thoughts under the cut! (Do we call it a cut on Tumblr? Is it a Read More?)
because that is what they do and it’s pretty much the only thing they’ve ever done in the 6+ years you’ve known them
and you read their words this time around
and you realize
they kind of are joffrey
Less good news: bloodwork says it’s time to behave myself in the land of fried things.
Great news: bloodwork also says I don’t have syphilis.
LOLLARD I HOPE U DON’T HAVE PUFFY FOOT CANCER. OR ANY OTHER TYPE OF!!
Haha, thanks! ME TOO. I will find out sooooon. D:
I resemble comment 3. Also comment 2, when there are spiders, which there weren’t last night THANK GAWD.
Spiders are okay when they are far away from me, NOT RIGHT BY MY FACE.
DUDE WHAT THE HELL WAS MAD MEN.
OMG. I DON’T KNOW. I was like, “I better not die tonight because I want to see what Tom and Lorenzo have to say in the morning because they will make it ALL MAKE SENSE.” …and they didn’t.
- “mad men, what the hell even was that”
- “AUGH AUGH SPIDER ON MY NIGHTSTAND INCHES FROM MY FACE GET IT OUT GET IT OUT GET IT OUT”
- “…hey guess I’m awake enough to contemplate tomorrow’s doctor’s appointment where because I am paranoid and suggestible at the best of times and it’s two in the morning I am positive my bloodwork result sheet will read CANCER in 72-point font and that is all”